Thursday, August 20, 2009

There is so much more to do in NOLA!


As I read the reflections and look at the work of the 2 summer 2009 teams I am exhilerated, and yet also reminded that there is still so much work to be done in NOLA. I learned this trip that the New Orleans Public School District has plans to open up to 15 schools in the next 3 years. These are both newly Green constructed buildings and rehabbed older school buildings brought up to the new codes. Teachers usually have about a week to organize these classrooms. Some schools currently operate in temporary quarters, ready to move into the new school buildings within 2-3 years. This is both hopeful for the families and children of NOLA as well as the professional volunteers who learn so much from the relationships formed with NOPSD/RSD faculty and administrators though their service work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Karen.
    This is a belated thank you for allowing me to go on the amazing NOLA trip!
    It is still very much a part of me and several teachers at my school are interested in participating next year.
    Sure hope I'll see you in July, 2010.
    Thanks again.
    "Mama Nea"

    ReplyDelete