Friday, August 21, 2009

Service work has BIG rewards

The time in NOLA flew by and I can't wait til next summer. The highlights for me were meeting all of the various teachers. Teachers didn't look 16 when I went to school, this is a positive thing. Not only were the teachers youthful they were full of energy and passion. Ms. "P's" room will be a hit. She has such a awesome collection of history on Black America. I caught myself in her room reading a very controversial book about "crack" that was geared to promoting awareness to all youth. I really enjoyed Happy Times. Rocco, the director, is a man with a vision. I was greeted by very busy little people that took to me almost immediately, except for one who had to wait until after nap time to find out that I was not a stranger. I appreciated and respected the stories that Ms. "D" at Happy Times shared about her experience during the Katrina and where her life is at now. My closing day before departure I spent viewing the Ponchtrans Lake, boy is NOLA alive and well. Thanks Karen and family and all my new friends. I tell everyone I left with 20 strangers and came back with 20 new friends. I am forever grateful to share a piece of life with you all. Linda Fultz-Rockford, IL NLU class 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment