Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Wonderful Experience















Hello all,


This will be my second trip to NOLA and my second trip to NOLA as a part of the service learning project with NLU. The experience is priceless and unforgettable. It is amazing to see the growth KIPP did in the week I was there. It is even more amazing to see where the school is now after its first year in its new location. I was so proud to be a part of helping a school get on its feet.

I understand and firmly believe that education is the key to any door. I am happy to not only be a part of giving keys to the students I impact through teaching but giving keys to a community of people dreaming to get back on their feet. I believe our trip to NOLA is a way of giving a key to teachers, principals, parents and most importantly students!


At first, you may think the work they have you doing is mindless but when you see how much that helps each classroom grow into a mini community your heart really skips a beat. I felt like a star after I put together a sand box, took out trash and put balls on the feet of chairs. My effort allowed the teachers to focus on what really matters, the education of the youth. We as a team allowed teachers to have valuable hours discussing how to create a challenging curriculum and engage students. To a teacher, that time is priceless.


I hope to have an even larger impact this year. I want to support the teachers in any way possible. This year, I hope I can support other going on the trip as well. I know that once again I will have an amazing, unforgettable time in NOLA helping in any way possible.


Excited for time number two,


Adrienne Waller

No comments:

Post a Comment